Monday, May 12, 2014

History In Black And White

On Mother's Day, I went to my Mom's house to help her celebrate her special day. I got there before everyone else and I walked around the yard with my camera in my hand just taking random pictures of some azalea bushes, my old basketball goal, a birdhouse my father had built years ago, and a few other things. My parents have lived in that house for 40 years. I was 8 years old when we moved in so that was the house I remember growing up in. That was the one thing I could not take pictures of was my memories. My oldest sister shared some of her memories of a red wagon and a death defying ride one of us took down the hill in our yard. Known of us could even remember who it was. The thousands of hours I spent shooting baskets on that goal, all so I could be a third string guard for Coach Stephens 9th Grade basketball team at Flat Rock Junior High. I was a History major at Appalachian State and I even went on to get my Master's Degree in History at Western Carolina. I poured over thousands of history books where all of the photographs are in black and white. My camera has a black and white mode so I took a few pics in black and white and that somehow managed to put my memories in perspective. My memories are in color but the history of that house is in black and white.

No comments:

Post a Comment